Monday, April 24, 2006

The Breast Cancer 3-Day



The Breast Cancer 3-Day is a journey in which thousands of women and men will unite in cities across the country and walk 60 miles over the course of three days. It's a weekend of hope, as we honor lives lost, celebrate survivors, promote breast cancer research, and help bring breast cancer care to those who so desperately need it. Net proceeds from the Breast Cancer 3-Day benefits the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation to fund breast cancer research and community outreach, as well as the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund, to provide an endowment for breast cancer initiatives. According to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, approximately 200,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, and nearly 40,000 will die from the disease.

It is easy to let statistics remain just statistics. When it has affected your life personally, you start to think of them as 40,000 mothers, daughters, and friends dying, and 160,000 mothers, daughters and friends winning the fight to become survivors, but dealing with the trauma and emotional and physical pain of becoming a breast cancer survivor.

Personally, there has never been a bigger life-changing moment than when I lost my mom, Karen, to inflammatory breast cancer. It 4 years ago last week, April 20, that her two and a half year battle came to an end. She fought so courageously for as long as she could. I know her family meant the world to her...and she still means the world to us. I promised her (and myself) that I would do everything in my power to stop this from happening to another family, and to never let her wonderful life, her valiant battle, and her inspirational spirit be forgotten. I am committed to this cause...and to her.

3 years ago, it was just my youngest sister, Gina, and I on this journey. Last year we expanded our team to 7 members including my other sister, Jill and 4 incredible friends...and Team Fight Like a Girl was born! We each came with a story of how breast cancer has affected our lives and the lives of those we love. After walking our first 60 miles, we knew our lives would never be the same. We saw first hand the true strength of the human spirit and the power of the will to live.

Last year Team Fight Like A Girl raised over $20,000! We are back again this year and now have 20 team members and have a goal of $45,000. As of today, we are nearing $23,000...AMAZING!!

In preparation for the Twin Cities Breast Cancer 3Day on August 18-20, my team and I will walk over 400 training miles each and put in countless hours into fundraising until we finally reach the 3Day. It's a huge committment of time and energy. But it is a committment that I am eager to make. It's my committment to my mom.

We truly believe that one day there will be a world free from breast cancer and we will work hard to achieve this for our daughters and our sons. Until then… WE WILL WALK!

If you'd like to make a donation to the Breast Cancer 3Day via myself or Team Fight LIke a Girl, please follow the link below, or visit www.the3day.org.

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=131537&lis=1&kntae131537=C8D57896913F4B038F743A010136DBE4&supId=11034406

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! We are proud of you!!!