Sunday, January 01, 2006

Merry Christmas and Happpy 2006!

Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year, everyone! Sorry I haven't updated for a while. We've been really busy and just trying to catch our breath after another "whirlwind" of a holiday season. I can't believe it's actually winding down and and 2006 has begun. We spent 6 days around Christmas in Seattle with my sisters Gina and Jill, and her family Leif, Campbelle and Christian. We had such a great time there...come the 27th, it was hard to leave. It rained pretty much every day, so it put a little bit of a damper on the "let's just bum around and walk the cool shopping areas" plan (but I'm sure Leif and Bill didn't mind at all). We all really enjoyed the EMP (Experience Music Project) Museum. It really brought out all of our inner (wanna-be) muscians! Bill still thinks he's destined for rock n' roll stardom, Will thought it was cool to be able to change his voice to sound like Darth Vadar, Madison loved showing off her break-dancing moves, and I was amazed at how bad I actually sing. We saw a couple of movies, went to the Brenne's church on Christmas Eve, got a visit from Santa, met a bunch of Jill and Leif's friends, experienced Raclette-style eating for the first time, loved the 50+ degree weather, and went on an intersting little ski trip. To get a feel for our skiing experience, just imagine: rain (not sleet or snow...just rain), a huge mountain (from my viewpoint anyway), two 7 year-olds (who have never skiied), me (who has skiied only once and is really uncoordinated), over an hour of: get dressed -- pick up your rental stuff -- it's the wrong size -- get back in line -- why can't I have poles? -- I don't want to ski anymore...I want to snowboard -- how could you lose my gloves and hat?! - -there's sweat running down my back! -- #$#@*#@&^, lots (and lots) of crying, my husband "gracefully" falling off the conveyer belt on the way up the bunny hill, my brother-in-law trying to assist 2 crying skiiers splayed on the side of a mountain (it actually might have just been a green-run, beginner hill), and finally, a trip down the mountain strapped to a tobagan and accompanied by Ski Patrol. I'll let you all know how it ends when I see the orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday! Minus that last part, we had such a great Christmas and feel very lucky to have spent it with great family!

Last night we hosted our third annual New Year's Eve Party. We had about 15 neighbors and all their kids over to celebrate and ring in 2006. In comparison to last year, it was pretty tame...everyone had left by about 2:30. Bill and I had the dishes done and the floors scrubbed by 4 am (not by his choosing)! Again, I am reminded of how fortunate we are to be surrounded by a great group of friends and neighbors!

No comments: