Friday, December 15, 2006

My Book List

As some of you may know, I love to read. I found this "Book List" on another blog and thought I'd take a shot at it. Let me tell you, it really made me think...and even rummage through a few of my bookshelves.

Books that changed my life:
I really can’t think of a book that “changed my life”. There are so many books that I’ve read that I recall fondly as I remember a certain time in my life. I remember reading Nancy Drew books as a kid, and remember thinking that I wanted to be smart, independent and brave like Nancy was; I remember reading “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee in Mrs. Delzer’s 9th grade English class and getting a tiny peek into the racial south of the 1960’s – a very weird concept for kid from South Dakota; and I remember reading “Critical Condition” by Echo Heron when I was in college, and it was then I knew that I’d be an ICU nurse some day…and a damn good one at that. Probably the most recent book that made me examine life was “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini. I read this a year or two after 9/11. Although it was fiction, it really opened my eyes to what life in Afghanistan had been like – both past and relatively present. So, I can’t really say that any of them “changed my life”…but who’s to say they didn’t?

Books that I reread:
I reread “The DaVinci Code” by Dan Brown about 6 months after my first reading. Partly because my husband was reading it then and I was trying to recall some of the story so we could have our own little “book club discussion”; and partly because I loved the story and wanted to soak-in all the details! I know, it’s all fiction…but you have to admit – it makes you a little curious. I am also planning to reread “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Red Tent” because I love them both!

One book I would have with me on a stranded desert island:
Only one?...probably something psychoanalytical. If I were stranded on an island – I sure hope I would really be able to get in touch with my true inner-self and really be at peace with who I am. Or maybe I’d choose a book about strategies for getting off of a stranded desert island.

One book that makes me cry:
“The Five People You Meet in Heaven” and “Tuesdays With Morrie” by Mitch Albom are both books that have really made me think about life, death and everything in between. Actually, now that I think about it, these books should be included in the answer to the “life changing” question above as well.

One book that you wish you wrote:
“The Time Traveler’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger – probably one of the greatest books I’ve ever read…what an amazing concept! I wish I’d thought of it!

One book that you wish never had been written:
The Adkins Diet…give up pasta and bread????...are you kidding me???

One book I’m reading now:
“The Dante Club” by Matthew Pearl. It’s OK…but I’m really struggling to get through it. I’m anxiously waiting to get our next book club "assignment"…

One book I’m planning to read
“Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by Robert Pirsig. I bought this one about a year ago at Borders because it looked a little interesting, was marked as 20% off , and I was going through some kind of “motorcycle phase” that I’ve since outgrown. My sister, and literary resource, Jill, thinks I’ll hate it. Also on my queue is “The History of Love” by Nicole Krauss. I’m not sure exactly what this one’s about, but it comes highly recommended by Jill. And, “For One More Day” by Mitch Albom - I’m saving that one for a day I just need a good cry.

So, there's my list...anyone else want to give it a try?

1 comment:

jilldaisbrenne said...

When I get back from Norway Iæm all over this one....