Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My thoughts on Christmas letters

Well, we sent out our 62nd annual Christmas letter this year. Well, maybe it's actually only number 11. Anyway, it's a tradition that Bill and I started the year we were married and it's a really hard thing to give up on....you know, for tradition's sake. We've sent any and every type of letter you can imagine - a Gallagher family quiz, a Top Ten List (to rival Letterman's), a "Famous Quotes" letter, a generic highlights update, a Gallagher poem (that actually rhymed), and several others I can't remember right now. Each year they seem to get a little more ridiculous than the last one (although this year we opted for boring instead of ridiculous...I was having writer's block). One thing we haven't done is have a baby or a pet write the letter. No offense to those of you who chose to do that...it's just that babies and pets can't really write.

I absolutely love getting Christmas form letters! I guess that's why I write them as well. It's a great way to keep tabs on all of our long-lost friends in far-away places. I also love getting family Christmas pictures. I have them all taped to a door in our family room and I glance at them several times a day. Notice that I said "family" pictures. I love to see your kids and all.....but what I really want to see is YOU!! If I sent some of my long-lost friends in far-away places just a picture of my kids - they wouldn't know them from Adam. But, if I sent a family picture, they'd say, "Wow...we used to have some great times back in (high school/college/the bar). She's really gotten (old/fat/beautiful). And look at the guy she married...he's really (old/fat/hot)! Hmmm...they have a couple kids, too." See...isn't that much more entertaining?

Anyway, getting the mail in December is one of my favorite things! I love to hear from everyone...keep 'em coming!
______________________________________________________
Here is a new thing I'm starting:
My YouTube Pick of the Day is

1 comment:

jilldaisbrenne said...

what an opinion you have!?! (I agree though, I totally like family pictures and form letters).