Monday, January 29, 2007

Life lesson...from my mom

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about my mom lately. Not that I don’t do it a million times throughout each day, but some events have recently happened which have “opened old wounds” for me. My good friends Carol and Laura have each recently lost a parent, and my Grandpa had surgery last week for a colon mass. Thankfully his biopsy results were benign – but nonetheless, it makes one brace for sudden turns life may take. I like to think of it as being on a rollercoaster blindfolded...and tied down.

Mom had taught me countless lessons throughout her life and through her death. In fact, I'm sure she's responsible for the relatively-functional and somewhat-rational human being that I am today (Ha! don't laugh). But right now, in trying to compile the lessons I’ve gained, the single thing that comes to my mind is…NO REGRETS.

Sounds pretty simple, maybe even a little cliché. In all honesty, this little mantra probably didn’t become that important to me until my mom’s diagnosis with inflammatory breast cancer. How’s that for a wake-up-call to life?? I remember the diagnosis being almost like a warning bell going off…get readyhere it comes...what are you going to do about it?

I really have no regrets about anything during the last years of her life, other than the fact that she got that damn cancer in the first place. And I know that this has helped me truly find peace in my life without her. I’m not sure if inner-peace can really be known in the presence of lingering regrets. And I hope I never find out. Therefore, I really try to make a conscious effort daily to live without the “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve-'s.

So, here are some of my lessons learned, and my message to anyone who cares to listen :)
1. Don’t waste time being spiteful, angry, or hurtful to anyone – much less to the people who love you.
2. Every day, be sure to ask yourself: “What if this is my last day? If it has to be…am I ready to go?” Really...ask yourself. Would it change anything?
3. Beware of karma – what comes around, goes around. Are you ready for that?
4. Carrying a chip on your shoulder is really bad for your back. And your attitude.
5. Get your priorities straight!
6. Say "I love you" more often. You never want to be sorry you didn't say it "the last time".
7. No regrets. This life on Earth is just one shot, baby…no second chances.
8. You better figure it out before it’s too late…

Love to you all...

3 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

Well said Tammy!! I believe everyone can take something (probably alot of things) away from reading this post.
Love you tons!

Sara Wicht said...

Wow! Beautifully put Tammy. Thank you for those simple reminders that aren't always as simple as they should be.
Peace and love to you!
Sara

Anonymous said...

Your mom was a smart lady and raised a great daughter - oh... make that three of them!

My mom has taught me four things (well more than four) but four that really affect me-

1. Always look people in the eye when you talk to them

2. If you make a mistake - the only person that can fix it is you

3. The best gift you can give to your children is faith

4. And never turn your back on someone who needs you - forgiveness is always the way to peace.

Keep it coming Tammy - you always make me smile at the end of the day!

Love,
Dee