Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy St. Pat's Day

The kids and I went to the St. Patty’s Day Parade in St. Paul yesterday with Nicole and Finn. There was more wild green clothing, crazy drunk people and bagpipers than I have ever seen! Bejaysus!

Have you ever noticed something funny about Irish people? I know, I know…that’s a loaded question with limitless answers. You could respond with “they could jab your arse off”, “they fancy their pints of Guinness”, or “they swear a wee bit more that your average lad”. But, the answer I was leading up to is: they only seem to claim the Irish-portion of their heritage, no matter how small.

Take my husband and kids, for example. It physically pains Bill to admit that he’s part German (and he’ll be really ticked off that I told you all). And he’s passes it on to our kids, too. Today when I asked them about their ancestry, they both claimed to be only Irish. When asked “Why?” Madison responded, “I thought we had to be. Isn’t Gallagher is an Irish name?” And Will responded, “Because being German is pretty boring.” I guess it’s hard to compare stoicism, polkas, and Hitler to leprechauns, green things and a pint o’ Guinness.

One of Bill's greatest dreams is that both of our kids marry people of 100% Irish heritage as to not further dilute the Gallagher blood lines as he and his father have done. Puh-leeze! (Apparently German women are just too irresistible for certain Gallagher men.)

I will admit there is something fun about being Irish, even if it is in name only. So, next year, the German and the Scandinavian daughter-in-laws, with Irish last names, want to organize a “Gallagher Family” entry in the St. Paul St. Patty’s Day parade. A melting pot, indeed!






And to end, a little Irish blessing for you all:


Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers—
Miles and miles of Irish smiles
For golden happy hours—
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through

2 comments:

Jill said...

Very true. I have some English and German in me, but the Irish is all I'll claim.

jilldaisbrenne said...

The poor, poor diluted Gallagher offspring. Maybe Oktoberfest should become a family celebration as well.