Sunday, September 30, 2007

I really love you, babe. But...

I think I need to start this post by stating that I love my husband dearly and there is no one else I’d rather be married to (well, maybe except for Brett Farve…) I knew from the first day I met him that he was the one for me. He’s a great dad, an amazing husband, he’s incredibly intelligent, way cute, and he makes me happy. But, my God – he’s driving me crazy with his freakin’ car!

You see, we have opposing views on many things…politics, spirituality, and the importance and relevance of math in one’s life (but that’s a story for another time). You name it; we could have a pretty good debate over it. Our most recent source of contention has been his stinkin’ piece of crap old “reliable” 1994 Dodge Intrepid.

I think our basic foundational beliefs in cars and their functionality, reliability, and appearance stems from our childhood experiences and our own fathers. My dad likes toys and spontaneous purchases, and he still does (right, Mr. Corvette?). He gets a new car every few years, and has ever since I can remember. He doesn’t like to mess with repairs and won’t chance safety by ever questioning their reliability…it’s just easier to trade it in and start over. Bill’s dad, on the other hand, has always been very handy under the hood of a car or truck. He taught his son about repairs and the importance of maintenance. He is very smart, practical and carefully calculates several factors (repair costs, Blue Book trade-in value, personal fix-it ability, safety, finances and Consumer Reports) when deciding to buy a new car.

God knows I love them both dearly, but they are a little different in that way…

So, here’s the story on Bill’s car:
(disclosure: the following technical car information and automotive accuracy is coming from one who know absolutely nothing about cars - me):
  • Purchased about 5 years ago from my sister Jill for $1000
  • Woo hoo – no car payments since 2002!
  • White, multiple rust spots throughout the body that my dearest has since “fixed” with a can of spray paint. You can hardly tell until a new spot appears…
  • It’s huge - even longer than my minivan. It's really hard to get it parked right and it barely fits in the garage. In fact there's a few scratches and dents in the back bumper to prove it.
  • It’s been stalling lately. A lot.
  • He has a “trick” to get it restarted while coasting. Usually.
  • Replaced the spark plugs ($$)…
  • Didn’t work
  • Replaced the fuel injector thingy ($$$)…
  • Didn’t work
  • He called me last week to tell me he was stalled alongside of I-94 in rush hour traffic and his “trick” wouldn’t work.
  • Had to call tow truck.
  • Ooops! False alarm. Turn around, tow truck…got it started after all.
  • Sh**! Stalled again. Called very-helpful-neighbor Varen for a ride.
  • Ooops! False alarm. Again. Turn around very-helpful-neighbor Varen.
  • Whew…finally made it home
  • Drove 4 little kids up to the school for swimming.
  • Crap…stalled again. Should they all walk home?
  • Never mind – it started!
  • Replaced the fuel pump and little screw-in gadget ($$$$)
  • To be continued…

Personally, I’m never touching it again. I don’t want to get stuck alongside I-94 in rush-hour traffic. Just the thought of it makes my bladder tingle. Plus, I don’t know the “trick”.

So, I ask you, readers: When is it time to put this big, white hunk of partially-rusted metal out of its misery?

Yesterday, you say?

OK…I’ll pass that along to Bill.



So, although I hate your car more than almost anything in this world, honey - I love you. (And by the way – I was just kidding about the Brett Farve thing…)



        6 comments:

        The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

        It is definately time to put the car to srap metal heaven!! Oh Bill, you are much more patient than I would EVER be!!

        KJ said...

        Yep, time to upgrade Bill. I remember Jill driving that car around Fargo in like 1999-2000 and it was starting to get questionable then. Safety first my friend...

        Sara Wicht said...

        I think I need to see a picture of the car before I can make a final recommendation. How about it Tammy?

        Anonymous said...

        Hi! fellow German from Russia. I happened upon your Blog while doing a search on Eureka. I'm from Leola and live in White Bear Lake. I love your pictures on small town Eureka. Great!
        I belong to the North Star Chapter of Germans from Russia here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I would like to invite you to our Harvest Fest on Saturday, October 13 at Berea Lutheran Church in Bloomington. They are going to have demos on sausage making, kase knepfla making, tating, an acordion player, a German meal with sausage from Wishek and kuchen from another bakery from the Lapp Bakery in ND. Please come and taste a little German Russian right here in the twin cities. If you would like more info, call me Gwen at 651-426-0117. I would love to talk to you.

        Cindy Schade said...

        I think they like to feel that they can fix something. By the way Bill called Mike the other day and asked some questions about fixing the car. Sorry....

        Angela said...

        Coming from someone who learned to drive in a 73 Chevy Beauville van (brown and white striped) that was more rust that metal and had duct tape holding the windows in... it doesn't sound THAT BAD. I have to say though that I'm not nearly as daring as I used to be. When William was a baby I decided it would be a smart idea to try and push my stalled car to the side of the road. After being drug backwards about 20 feet with my BABY in the car I managed to slam the emergency brake on and then called for a tow.

        These days we're more of the "upgrade every few years" type. Definitely the way to go!