Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering...

This morning I hit my snooze button twice, was awakened by my son’s inquiry of the weather at recess today, and finally crawled out of my warm, cozy bed – feeling that this was no different than any other morning. The sun was shining brilliantly in a beautiful, clear blue sky. I helped Maddie dry her hair, cleared their breakfast dishes, and watched them run out to meet the bus. And then I realized it is September 11.

From what I remember, this morning was not that much different from that historical day 6 years ago. It was beautiful. And, as I’m sure you can as well, I remember the exact events of those several hours. I was getting the kids ready for their first day of preschool. I had turned the Today Show off so we could get ready without distraction – we were running a little late as usual. I was preoccupied, trying to mentally make a list of the remaining items we needed to pack for our trip to Oslo the following morning. I, along with 12 members of my family, was going to Norway for my sister, Jill’s wedding reception. And I wasn’t quite packed yet. As I was telling the kids to get their sandals on, the phone rang. It was my mother-in-law Jan. She asked me if I thought we’d still be going on our trip the following day.

I said, “Well, yeah. Why? What do you mean?”

“Turn on the TV”, she said.

I stood there in my kitchen trying to understand what I was seeing. Along with the rest of the world, I became engrossed in the unbelievable reality of the events the unfolded in NYC, Washington and Pennsylvania that day.

Today, our world has been forever altered by the events of that morning 6 years ago. My heart goes out to the survivors, the families, and the heroes of 9/11/01.

1 comment:

The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

I as well, remember exactly what I was doing on that day. I don't remember alot of things, but that day is in my mind like it was yesterday.