Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Love Costco!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before, but I really love Costco. I mean I really, really love Costco. They have great produce, meat and bakery items. They also have great prices on their Kirkland brand of bottled water, toilet paper and paper towels.

I could waste an incredible amount of time shopping in this store. Books, household decor, huge packs of pens and post-it notes. Did you know I have a weakness for office supplies?

My favorite things that I seem to buy every time I'm there include:
Orange Chicken - I used to buy this at Trader Joes until I found them at Costco. Way better...you gotta try it! It's definitely a staple in our house.
Hormone-free skim milk - I switched to buying Hormone-free milk about a year ago after hearing a story of pre-teen girls and early breast development from my sister, Gina. In grocery stores, I usually pay about $4.50 for a gallon. Here, however, it is less than $3 a gallon. And my family easily drinks 3-4 gallons a week. That's a lot of money!
Hearts of romaine lettuce - 5 big clumps is way cheaper than 3 at Super Target
Giant boxes of Frosted Mini-Wheats - Will eats this like it's going out of style. Plus, I'm in a bit of a "cooking-rut" lately so it usually comes down to choosing between a can of soup or a bowl of cereal for dinner several nights a week. Does that make me a bad mom?
Huge jugs of Tropicana Orange Juice - for as much milk as we go through...we also consume OJ at a pretty fast rate as well.
Wine - they actually have a good wine selection at very reasonable prices. I usually don't spend more than $10 a bottle, and here there are lots of choices.

It's interesting, but I've found that my dear husband has a weakness for Costco as well. He loves to buy in bulk and he loves a good deal. Last time he went shopping with me, this is what ended up in the cart:


Do you have any idea how long it will take my family to eat 25 pounds of Jasmine rice???

4 comments:

KJ said...

I am so with you on Costco. I LOVE going there. I particularily love when we go there around meal time and eat at the "cafe" area. We can feed the whole family for like $6. Awesome!
My Costo recommendations are: sugar snap peas & asparagus from the 'cold room', Home Run frozen pizzas, the 72oz bag of cholocate chips, Ghirardelli brownie mix, the granola snack mix from the bakery, avocados and all of their awesome fruit! Really, I love their fruit. I would have never imagined we could eat 13 pounds of oranges or 5 pounds of grapes, but hey...we can! We should go together sometime, we'd have a blast!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to a Costco, but it sounds great!! I wonder if Will knows about dipping Frosted Mini Wheats in chocolate milk?!?!? Brings back lots of memories!!!

jilldaisbrenne said...

You totally left out Stacy's Pita Chips and Hummus! (Although I buy the hummus at Trader Joes now)... but those Pita Chips are my Costco weakness. Oh, and those really good mini-loaves of bread from the bakery that come 6 in a pack. Oh and the Jalapeno Artichoke dip! Yummm

The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Ok, enough of making me feel like I live in the sticks....oh yah, I DO live in the sticks!! What I wouldn't do for a Costco, Sams Club, Target (doesn't even have to be Super) and an Applebees. I have got to get out of this place!!!!