Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Book Club...and an injury


I've been in this really great book club with a group of friends for the past 4 1/2 years. We usually meet on Fridays about every 6 weeks. We have 11 girls in this club, give or take. The numbers have fluctuated a lot over the past years, but we have hung on to about 6 or 7 founding members.

It's a nice variety of girls from a variety of backgrounds. We all have kids. Most of us have husbands. Some work part-time, some full-time, some stay at home. Some live in the city, but most live in the 'burbs. Some like red wine, some like white. Some just prefer Bacardi and Diet Coke.

We've celebrated births, weight loss, promotions, and college degrees. We've cried over re-locations and deaths of family members. We've discussed our husbands (probably much more than they would ever approve of) and kids. We've talked politics, family, work, religion, decorating, and sex. But not necessarily in that order.

A few years ago, we even vacationed together. The weekend consisted of us watching episode after episode of Sex and the City in our pajamas, along with several bottles of wine. Oh, and just a bit of food as well. It was like girl-heaven.

We also had a psychic join our meeting once. She tried to explain her "powers", did short readings on all of us, and saw several ghosts beside us in the room that night. Needless to say, that was very cool. In an eerie, creepy kind of way...

The book that is chosen each meeting is picked by the hosting member. I'm sure you can imagine the variety that we've had. Our literary docket has included everything from "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck, to "Dude, Where's My Country" by Michael Moore, and everything in between. I'll reluctantly admit, the Michael Moore book was my choice. I must have been feeling disgruntled and confrontational at the time.

And I love to collect books. I haven't collected anything for years - ever since I quit my collection of Precious Moments figurines in 7th grade. But I do collect these books. I usually try to get the hard cover edition, usually from Amazon.com. I think it just feels better to read a sturdy hardcover book versus a floppy paperback. But I'm not too picky - I read them regardless. Used or new. Hardcover or paperback. Some of the girls in book club listen to the Audio Books. I've never tried that. Not that I wouldn't, but I just like that feel and sound of turning pages.




Our next book is "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I just got it in the mail yesterday. Have you ever seen this book?? By God, it measures over 3 inches thick, has just under 1,000 pages, and is filled with itsy, bitsy microscopic font. Talk about intimidating!

And the worst part is that I'm not sure I can read this book in bed anymore. Last night as I was lying on my back and holding the book up to read with my left hand, was adjusting the blanket with by right hand, I lost control while flipping to page 23. The book came crashing down on my face. Thank God for my glasses...I could have lost an eye. But I think I may have broken by nose.

This might be a good story to share for our next book club. I know my girls will appreciate it.




4 comments:

Sara Wicht said...

I totally feel your pain with the book crashing on your face. I had the same experience with Wally Lamb's I know this much is true! I actually have a friend who tore her copy of this book in half so she could read while nursing. Good luck with this endeavor.

jilldaisbrenne said...

Good luck on this big book... just think how rewarding it will be do have finished it though!!

Anonymous said...

You will love the book, I just finished reading it and it is a bit intimidating but as you get involved in the book, it doesn't seem that long. Enjoy!

Kristy

Heather Culhane said...

really, i think I need to join your club, are you taking new members??? Books used to be a constant in my life and now they are visitors, I never seem to have enough time with them....maybe a new motivator would help, girls and wine.