Monday, February 04, 2008

Political musings

Who else is excited about Super Tuesday? To be honest, I’m more excited about tomorrow’s political competition than I was about the Giants vs. Patriots face-off yesterday. Although I will admit that I was really cheering for those Giants in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Up until the past 10 years or so, I’ve never been a huge fan of politics. It wasn’t something that my parents ever talked about with us sitting around the dinner table. It was never a topic that came up in casual conversation with friends. I wasn’t the least interested in debates, the caucuses, the elections, or any of it. In fact, the first time I took any interest in politics was during the 1992 presidential election when Bill Clinton played his saxophone on the Arsenio Hall show. After that, I remember posting a big “Clinton/Gore” sign in my college apartment window.

That Bill…he was so cool.

Then I started listening. Then I really started paying attention. I also was in my mid-20’s, starting a family, having a career, choosing healthcare, paying taxes …you know – becoming a full-fledge contributing member of this American society. It was a time in my life where I formed strong opinions based on my personal experiences and the world around me. I loved to hear the debates. I loved the way other people's thoughts made me analyze my own. I loved the way I could strengthen my own resolve by discussing ideas with someone else.

I liken this pre-election presidential race of 2008 to the summer break right before school starts for a new year. Do you remember how excited you were to find out who your new 3rd grade teacher was going to be? That’s just how I feel! Well, kind of.

I know that it’s almost becoming too cliché at this point, but I am definitely ready for change. A big change. Really big. And I’m thrilled by the thought of it.

In my humble opinion, I believe that all 3 front-runners: Obama, Clinton, and McCain, would make a good, effective leaders of this country. Although my heart and mind is with the Democratic candidates, I truly hope that McCain gets the Republican nomination. Not only because he is moderate, rational, experienced, and intelligent – but because it would truly irritate and utterly rile the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter.

And that would make me happy. Very happy.

So, anyway…you can bet I’ll be fervently watching the polls, faithfully reading the political stories and blogs on MSNBC, and just eagerly waiting to see how it all unfolds.

Anybody else excited about this all?

Or are you just rolling your eyes at the computer screen?

You can tell me...it won't hurt my feelings.

3 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

I am so excited about this election as well. In fact, I get emotional when I think that we are on the fringe of making history... I hope and pray that the next president will be the first woman or the first African American president!! And then someday I want to tell my grandkids and greatgrandkids (to the utter amazement and shock - I hope) that I participated in this election and it was such a huge first!! Go Dems!!

KJ said...

I am with you, I am very excited too. It's so fun to watch all of this take place. I am still struggling with who I support though. I'm a little on the wishy-washy side. But no matter the outcome, I hope it continues to be this interesting!

jenny said...

i'm very excited. i love politics and have for many, many years! my dad has been a county commissioner for over 15 years - so i became 'involved' at a young age. i've worked for elected officials and even was a campaign manager for a candidate in 2006. i love it from the local level all the way up to the national level. i stay away from it on my blog because so many people have very strong feelings about politics. its good ot know there are others who enjoy the subject.