Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Son...


This is my guy. This is my son.

He likes Legos. He likes books about Harry Potter and Dragons. He's a skilled artist. He likes making snow forts with his friends. He likes x-box and Halo (maybe a little too much). He's got a quirky sense of humor that constantly makes me smile.

He’s got the gift of empathy that I’ve never seen in a 10 yr old. In fact, he’s more empathetic than many people 2 or 3 times his age. I’m not sure how it happened, but I’d like him to spread it to others.

He wears his heart on his sleeve. Sometimes I want to hide it, protect it, give it a little coating of armor. His heart’s right out there for all to see. And really, that’s part of his charm.

He’s brilliant. He’s sweet. He’s caring. He laughs at inappropriate jokes. He hides his head and lets out an “Ewww…” when he sees any form of PDA on TV. He’s a little scatter-brain. But that’s OK.

He loves to cuddle his mom and dad. He swears that he’ll still cuddle us when he’s 16. I’m not holding my breath; but I’ll just keep hoping.

He is strong. As the expression goes, "he is his own man." When he marches, it's the beat of his own drum that he hears. I don't worry much about peer pressure with him.

He has a special pillow and wants to be tucked into bed every night. Loft beds are over-rated. They make it hard to do a good job tucking.

He likes to know what we’ll be doing after he’s in bed; his favorite is when we’re on the computer. He likes to fall asleep to the soft clicking of the keyboard.

I could stare forever at his eyebrows. And at the tiny dimple in the middle of his left cheek. He is growing out his hair. That is driving my dear husband crazy. But I've packed away the clippers and the #2 attachment. I think the shaggy look suits him fine.

Since he was born, he smells like maple syrup to me. In fact, I got a hint of that subtle smell last week. He thinks it’s funny and rolls his eyes when I tell him that.

I’m his proud mom. He’s amazing. He’s my guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a lucky mom to have these little blessings. You and Bill have worked hard to get children with these great qualities. We just LOVE all the Gallaghers.
Stacy

jilldaisbrenne said...

I love EvilFatBanana too! What a great kid!