Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Voice from the Past

Bill helped pack and move his Dad today. He recently sold the house where he and Bill's mom had lived for the past 15+ years and will be moving to a town home. During the sorting, he found a cassette tape of an interview he did with his Grandma Agnes. He thinks it was done in 1983-ish...not quite sure.

I never met his Grandma Ag. But I know a little bit about her. I think she died before Bill even graduated from high school. I know that she was a teacher. I know that she loved to play Scrabble. I know that she was the "queen" or something of Fridley and rode in a parade. I know that she used to pack Bill and Brian bags of snacks and trinkets to take with them on the long drive back down to Rochester. And I know that the people who knew her thought the world of her.

It was pretty amazing to hear her voice on that tape tonight. Hearing someone speak registers at a whole different level than just looking at a picture of them. I think it's the intonation; maybe the rhythm of their words. Maybe it's how I heard her interact with her grandson...my husband. For me, it just put a whole new light on who this woman actually was.

She came across very bright and articulate. She seemed knowledgeable of the world around her at that time, transitioning from politics to religion smoothly. She was spunky.

I wish I had known her.

But tonight, I feel lucky to have heard her.

1 comment:

Billy said...

I love you.