Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How many are on your queue?

Since Bill has seemed to turn our home into a "techy movie wonderland", we decided to go with the couch-potato-flow and subscribe to Netflix. I've gotta say, it is so cool!! It's really amazing how many movies are out there ...it seems infinite!

But, I do have one single gripe. Do we have to have 137 movies in our queue???? Come on...in reality, it would take us until 2017 to get through the movies Bill has selected. And every time he logs on, it's another 8 movies added.

Do you think it's a "guy thing"? My sister, Jill told me it's taken her over a year to convince her husband Leif, to bring their queue down from 200 (the limit), to a more managable 30. How'd you do it , Jill??

As part of the movie-picking process, you can rate all the movies you've seen in the past by giving them stars...1(it sucked) through 5 (it was awesome). Movies are then selected for you based on your past ratings. Very cool in theory, but not so cool when 2 people on the same account have very differing tastes in movies. For example, Bill has given high ratings to movies like Matrix, Nacho Libre, Young Guns, and Kill Bill, while I give high marks for Love Actually, An Inconvenient Truth, and Crash. Is it possible that our broad range of movie ratings could crash the system?

And another interesting thing...Bill has picked a bunch of music/band DVDs. Everything from The Grateful Dead to Tenacious D. Here is an area where my husband and I differ greatly. He could watch and listen to bands play for hours and hours. Me...I'm pretty content to listen to the radio on my way home from work and to catch a brief glimpse of VH1 videos while channel surfing. But, I can't say he isn't thoughtful...he did put Death Cab For Cutie at number 83 on our queue. When I asked "Why?"...his response, "I thought you liked that song they sing?"

Mmmm...OK.

Anyway, we've been watching movies like crazy! We just saw "The Devil Wears Prada" last night. Don't waste your time. (We both actually agreed on that!)

My YouTube Pick of the Day: Robot Dance

3 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

Ahh... the struggle of Queue control. It has been a constant source of tension in our relationship for some time. Some how, maybe through my power of incessant nagging , I did get Leif convinced to narrow it down... (or was it that I've been secretly deleting 'crap stuff' from the queue with such stealth that he never really noticed...) anyway - good luck Tammy! And good movie watching.

Oh, you should add Grizzly Man and Touching the Void to your list. Excellent documentaries... oh, and HBO's Entourage is very good as is Curb Your Enthusiasm. YIKES, it is endless!

jilldaisbrenne said...

We've watched 207 movies in the past 2 1/2 years... is that sad or what.
(I just looked at our rental history)

Anonymous said...

OK, you should add two profiles to your account ( you can do this through the Account Manager) one for Bill and one for you. Then you can rate the movies independently, and hopefully get a better match :)