Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sushi and Martinis, anyone?

Have you ever really wanted to like something because it would be a cool thing to like?...and then you just keep trying it hoping that it will "grow on you"?...and then you try it some more...but you just really, really don't like it? So, when do you give up trying and accept the fact that it will never be?? I have this problem with 2 things: sushi and martinis.

They both sound a bit sophisticated, urban, hip, and ....well, cool. It's not like I haven't tried. I was introduced to sushi as an unsuspecting and naive diner while on our honeymoon in Hawaii 11 years ago. After finding out what it was, I tried to keep eating it, but just couldn't overcome my very strong gag reflex. Since that initial encounter, there have been others. Needless to say, unsuccessful others.

And martinis...I really want to like them!! The only one I can say that I have enjoyed is the "Push Up -tini" at Maynard's. It's like a fluffy orange dreamsicle concoction that I'm sure doesn't technically qualify as a martini by any legal standards. I'm guessing it was made specifically for people like me, allowing us to smoothly order off the "Martini Menu". In general, I view them as tempting, teasing torture. They look so "kool-aid-ish" with their bright colors, fancy glasses, and fruity accompaniments. But behind the yummy, froo-froo facade, is a disgusting, bitter mixture just waiting to constrict your airway and put you on the floor.

Speaking of sushi and martinis, this past weekend, Bill and I met up with our old friends, Scott and Stephanie Wambeke for a wonderful dinner. We finally had a chance to check out Azia (pronounced like Asia, the continent) in the "Eat-Street" area of Minneapolis. We had such a great time! The restaurant was fantastic! I bypassed an enormous sushi selection for the Basil Supreme with chicken - it was awesome! And I did manage to choke down a deceivingly delicious-appearing red-strawberry-something martini. (you can't just waste a $12.00 drink...) If you get a chance to go, don't miss out on the Cranberry Puff appetizers.

Anyway, so much for sophisticated, urban, hip and cool....


My YouTube Pick of the Day: Amateur

4 comments:

Sara Wicht said...

Ok Tammy, I have only one question: did you actually have your camera with you and ready to capture your dinner/drink, or did you copy and paste from the restaurants website? Needless to say, I LOVE sushi, however urban, hip or chic it does sound and seems to be the "in" thing right now, I have to agree with you on the Martinis. Other than the Chunky Monkey or Funky Monkey (I forget which name it has, if you drink one you forget a lot of things) at Jitters in Mpls...in general I don't care of them either.

jilldaisbrenne said...

Oh my poor, unhip, uncool, unsophisticated sister... keep trying!

Tammy said...

I'm not that prepared...photo courtesy of Google Images.

KJ said...

Oh Tammy, I am so with you on this one. The first time I tried sushi I was sure I was going to like it, because I really wanted to. My gag reflex kicked in big-time and I was only able to get down a couple things. If anyone ever says anything about sushi, I make cool and say "Oh yeah, I like sushi." The part I don't tell them is that it's only the California Rolls I can stomach.
As for martinis, can't do those either. I laughed out loud at your comment about your throat closing up when you drink them. It is so true. When I try to get one down, I can feel my face morphing into this horrible "pickle-puss" type expression. I can't control it, it just happens.
So I don't think you are unhip, I think you are rockin' awesome and we should go out sometime for a fruity drink and and a fully cooked meal!