Monday, February 12, 2007

Did you notice my new title?

So, you may have noticed that I’ve been playing around with different titles for this site during the past month. Ever since I’ve started blogging, the title has been “Gallagher News”. I have recently decided that it is really an incredibly dull title…can you say BO-RING? I tried a few different ones: “Life in the ‘burbs” (too hum-drum blah…) and “Life Up North” (what is “north”, anyway…it’s not like we’re in the Arctic) and “The World According to Me” (just a tad too egocentric).

Well, I’ve settled on this one: “Are you kidding me???” This phrase is special to me for a couple reasons. First, I just so happen to use this rhetorical question all the time, in response to many situations. For example, just a couple days ago while in Eureka, I found Will and Madison engaged in a fight over toothpaste that had escalated to a screaming match at 11:17 pm, while everyone else was sleeping. I responded by venomously whispering, “Are you kidding me???” In another situation, Bill had just offered to take the day off work to get some stuff done around the house. I joyously replied, “Are you kidding me???” I even use it at work. Last week in reaction to one of our new admits who was involved in a drunken snowmobiling accident; I offered this same phrase in utter amazement of the pure stupidity of the situation.

The second reason I hold this phrase very near and dear to my heart is that these were the first four words to leave my mouth after the ultrasonographer placed the transducer probe on my pregnant abdomen nine short years ago. As I saw two perfectly round little circular objects (which turned out to be tiny skulls), I was unable to stop asking the poor women “Are you kidding me???….Are you kidding me???….Are you kidding me???” The only thing that stopped me from uttering those words for the rest of that day was her very brisk retort, “Ma’am, I’m not kidding you. This is my job.” My repetitive questioning soon turned into uncontrollable laughter, which in turn made my big belly jiggle...seemingly forever. As I remember, she was pretty relieved to see us leave her office that day.

And the rest is history…



YouTube Pick of the Day: 9 months in 20 seconds

2 comments:

KJ said...

I've noticed that things have been changing on your blog. I like the new title. Catchy! I don't think I can use my catch-all-phrase on mine. "What the hell?!?!" might come off a little harsh.

Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaa - Good Stuff! I am still laughing...