Monday, February 19, 2007

The good old days

So, I went out for lunch today with my kids and our neighbors Brendan and Clare….and I had a very “old” moment. The conversation went something like this:

Will: “Hey you guys, Britney Spears shaved her head!”
Maddie, Clare and Brendan: “WHAT?”
Brendan: “Why would she do that?
Me: “They think she might be going crazy.”
Maddie: “Well, you go crazy all the time, and you haven’t shaved your head, mom.”
All: "Ha! Ha! Ha!"
Clare: “Oooohhh! I love this song!”
(Faintly hear music playing overhead…almost too faintly for my 36 year old ears…)
Suddenly all 4 kids start singing while other people in the restaurant turn their heads our way:
“One Prozac a day, husbands a CPA…her dreams went out the door, when she turned 24…”
“She was gonna be an actress, she was gonna be a star, she was gonna shake her hee-hee-hee on the hood of White Snake’s car…"
“Since Bruce Springstein, Madonna, way before Nirvana, there was U2 and Blondie, and music still on MTV, her 2 kids in high school they tell her that she’s uncool, she’s still preoccupied with 19, 19, 1985. …”
“She’s seen all the classics, she knows every line, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, even St. Elmo’s Fire. She rocked out to Wham, not a big Limp Bizkit fan, thought she’d get a hand on a member of Duran Duran…”
“When did Motley Crue become classic rock? Please make this stop – stop – stop.”

WHAT?!?! Who are these little people that are sitting here, surrounding me at McDonalds and unknowingly mocking my youth?? Aside from the fact that it is incredibly frightening that they know all the words, it’s even more un-nerving that they could be singing about ME! I bet you can’t give me the name of a single 32-37 year old woman that doesn’t remember watching Breakfast Club over and over; having a big crush on Vince Neil of Motley Crue, or watching endless hours of MTV. I dare you… Well, it could almost be about me – although I really never liked Duran Duran, or wanted to be an actress. (much less shake my butt on the hood of a car) But the truth is, I LOVED 1985!

Anyway, this scenario left me with 2 questions. 1) Where does the time go? and 2) How do they know about Britney Spears anyway?



For those of you who don't know the song, my YouTube Pick of the Day: 1985

3 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

Very funny! Since I was only in 7th grade in 1985, I can only somewhat relate... but I did really love Duran Duran.

Oh and for the record.. I think your a way cool, totally awesome, radical mom. :-)

The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

That song really DOES say it all about 1985! Brings back ALOT of memories. Jill, I know we were only in 7th grade, but really, you can only somewhat relate? Did you grow up in Eureka or what?

Sara Wicht said...

Tammy, this reminds me of a day driving in the car in MN with Sierra when we passed a rather rundown what used to be a gas station and she said, "Wow, Mom that place looks really old! It must be from like 1980!" Similar thoughts to yours ran through my head that day before I broke out in hysterical laughter, or was it uncontrollable sobbing?