Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Fashion peer pressure

I think I’ve recently witnessed the fashion-peer-pressure phenomenon. This is our first. Both of the kids came home from school recently insisting that they need skater shoes.

Me: “What are those?” (asking because I’m very un-hip and un-cool…or so they think.)
Madison: “You know…those kinda big, really cool shoes with the big laces that you never have to tie. Everybody in my class has them. I want them sooooo bad!”
Will: “Yeah. Everybody has them. And so do Thomas and Jake. And they are soooo cool!”
Me: “What is wrong with your Adidas and New Balance tennis shoes? They’re nearly new.”
Madison: “Yeah, but…”
Will: “I’ll do my homework early every week! Please, mom!”
Madison: “Me too! And I won’t ever ask you to buy me anything ever again! Pleeeeze!”
Me: "OK. But you guys don’t even own a skateboard."
Both kids: “Ma-ummm…” (all eyes roll)

Up until now, Madison hasn’t really cared what everyone else wears…she has her own unique sense of style. She definitely knows what she likes and what she doesn’t. Camouflage is her favorite. And as for Will, he’s not too picky as long as shirts don’t have a scratchy tag, draw too much attention, or require that he go on a shopping trip with his mom. He typically likes anything plain, with stripes, or with a hood. If it has writing on it…good luck.

So, after my kids had succumb to fashion peer pressure, and I had succumb to their pleas, we went out and bought skater shoes.



They are both very pleased with their new footwear. Although I’m not quite sure how they keep them on their feet. Apparently, it would be ridiculous to tie them. So I just watch them walk with their heels flopping against the ground, hoping that they don’t trip and break an arm.

I’m pretty sure they’ll be asking for skateboards soon.

6 comments:

Sara Wicht said...

After the skateboards, you'll REALLY being worrying about broken arms! Wow, the kids got Vans...they are now "in". Don't you love the peer pressures of school? Sierra had a similar "skater shoe" request this year, but they weren't the Vans they were actual tennis shoes with wheels--skate shoes. In the scheme of things, she doesn't ask for much, so she received skate shoes for Christmas.

The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Vans are the coolest!!! They were even cool when I was in High School. Of course the styles have changed and they have become more "hip" but they are still the cool Vans that I remember. Good choice kids!!!

Anonymous said...

You've got to be the coolest mom on the block now! ;)
I remember using the tactic "I won't ask you to buy me anything ever again" on my mom. Very effective!

Cindy Schade said...

My girls both want skater shoes too, I think they are called DC or something like that.. To me they look the same as the heely's they already have.. Oh and Nikki asked for a skateboard for her birthday. Look out..

jilldaisbrenne said...

The skateboard request won't be so bad... just wait until its piercings or pink hair they want

Gail said...

Vans are cool... but Minivans are cooler!!