Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Path to Enlightenment

I was browsing through Barnes & Noble recently, while my husband was off doing his thing (checking out magazines about stereo equipment and speakers) and my kids were off doing their thing (Will searching for dragon books and Maddie looking for kids cook books), I wandered into the “Spirituality & Religion” section in the back. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for…just something to give me some sort of “boost” that I felt I needed that particular day. OK…well, most days.

It’s a very diverse section.

I glanced at “The Jesus Way”, “Exploring Mormon Thought”, “The Misunderstood Jew”, “Wicca For Beginners”, “The Spells Bible”, “The Satanic Bible”, “Letters on Demonology” (this is when I literally turned and looked behind me to be sure there was no creepy guy with slicked-back hair wearing black clothes lurking behind the gardening books, just waiting to snatch unsuspecting victims from the occult section and take them to a satanic sacrificial ritual. Whew…nobody there) , “Future Jihad”, “The Hare Krishna Movement”, and “The Teachings of Don Juan” (huh ?????)

Then I found a small red book with a friendly-looking man smiling at me from the cover. He sort of looked like somebody’s kind old grandpa. It was the Dalai Lama and he was going to teach me how to practice the way to a meaningful life. That is it! That’s what I need. A “how-to” book to get me out of my funk. Genius!

Well, I’m half-way through it. I don’t think I’m cut out to be Buddist, but as a religion, it does have a beautiful message. From what I’ve learned so far, part of the way to a meaningful life is to establish a non-violent, non-abusive outlook for each day. It is essential to adopt a positive attitude while eradicating feelings of lust, anger, jealously and hatred. And it’s important to remain calm and reasonable and refrain from harming others - at all costs. (I guess that even pertains to when your 8-yr olds play hide ‘n seek with the babysitter and tear down the living room curtains - along with a big chunk of drywall…Grrrrr…)

So, during a recent “State of the World” conversation with my husband, I made the comment that if the whole world just adopted the Buddhist views, there would be nothing but peace, harmony and love for all. No terrorists, no war in Iraq, no orphaned children, no school shootings, no Howard Stern. He laughed and said, “yeah, that would be great, but we’d all be vegetarians living in caves or tents with no electricity, running water, or cars.”

Hmmm…but do you think there would still be Super Targets?

5 comments:

KJ said...

There would have to be SuperTargets otherwise I may not be able to go on. Where else would I spend way more money than I needed to on things I didn't even know I needed?
Peace be with you.

jilldaisbrenne said...

I really recommend "Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home" by Sue Bender. She takes the concept of the monks' 'begging bowl' (Zen monks would start each day with an empty bowl and solicit enough food to nourish and sustain them for that day) and Bender applies that to our lives to help us slow down and take in the truly good stuff to help nourish our souls.

I'm no zen monk, but I really like the principles of this book. And I guess, with a trip to Target, one could really get our begging bowls filled with just about everything we need!!

Tammy said...

I know...I already bought it on your recommendation. And I couldn't get past page 11. Maybe I'll give it another try now that I'm already kind of in "zen" mode.

The Dunkers said...

It's the weather! If the sun would only shine for more then a day at a time. Everyone around here is struggling too!

abc1273 said...

U are too funny. I would have to say no. Gotta agree with KJ the place is a vacuum, sucks in all your money. Evil, the place is evil. BTW, check out Josh.org. Go to Youth devotions. Sometimes the lessons that are taught to the young ones are more simple and straight to the point. I have this saved to my fav list and read it everyday. Try that. It may be all you need. Forget the red book.