Friday, May 04, 2007

Leap of faith

I took a really big step this morning. For me, it was an important milestone in motherhood. For the first time, I watched my kids ride their bikes down the street on their way to school.

It took every ounce of inner-strength I had not to chase after them screaming, "BE CAREFUL! I LOVE YOU! ARE YOU SURE YOUR HELMETS FIT OK?? PLEEEEEZE LOOK BOTH WAYS WHEN YOU CROSS THE STREET!! WAIT UNTIL THE CROSSING GUARD SAYS ITS OK TO CROSS!! BE CAREFUL!! PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU ARE GOING!! JUST CONCENTRATE ON YOUR RIDING - DON'T TALK TOO MUCH!! BE CAREFUL!! I LOVE YOU!! AND SAY THANK YOU TO THE CROSSING GUARD!!"

They were so excited! They've been talking about this day since last year - it's a really big deal to them. The elementary school is only 3 blocks away and they are with "experienced" riders - Brendan and Clare from across the street.

It's a leap of faith I guess. I have faith in the fact that they've learned a few lessons over the past years regarding bike safety, street-crossing etiquette, and strangers. Bill and I have done our best to teach them independence - well, as much independence as you can expect from eight-year-olds. I know they are smart and responsible kids. But, you know...they're my babies.





So, it's been 45 minutes since they left. No sirens. No phone calls. I'm breathing easier now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog site, I must get one of my own  can I pass it on to my relatives? You are an amazing writer….really, I am serious. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the kids with me, I agree with your thoughts exactly, that is what goes through my mind every time they take off on their bikes….not sure when that feeling will go away, the things to ride will just get scarier as they grow up…motorized scooters, ATV, driving their own cars and riding with their friends. I force myself to think of all of the good teaching that has happened up to this point in their short lives and as you put it so eloquently, it is a leap of faith.

Kila said...

Oh my, that would be hard. I would definately need to drive past the school and make sure their bikes are there!

Sara Wicht said...

Wow! What an exercise in faith. I would have been so nervous. I remember the feeling the first time I put Sierra on a school bus. I followed the bus all the way to the school!!