Friday, June 01, 2007

Beautiful Night


There is something so great about gathering with friends around a beautiful, crackling fire. I’m not sure if it’s the smell, the s’mores, the random conversation, or the wine…but it’s really one of my favorite things.

We just came inside from a little fire-party in the back yard. The kids were playing with flashlights in the dark and their distant giggles brought a smile to my face. Brad, Bill, and Leif talked fishing. Soft voices filled the quiet and still night with the occasional interruption by a hearty burst of laughter. We reminisced about 80’s movies, discussed books and were entertained by Candace’s Ole and Lena jokes. It was a balmy 67 degrees with a mild breeze and not a mosquito in sight. There was a full moon overhead and the clear sky was accented by several groups of geese flying amazingly close. So close in fact, you could clearly hear the vibrating sounds of their wings as they went over us. The smell of “camping” still lingers in my nostrils. It makes me feel nostalgic. It makes me feels cozy, safe and at peace. It makes me feel thankful for some of the really great moments in an ordinary day.

No comments: