Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bad Mother

Well I think I might win the "Bad Mother of the Year" award. Or maybe even the "Don't Let Your Kids Go To Their House" title.

Yesterday, we finally had the kids' 9th Birthday Party for a group of their friends. (Never mind that we are 7 weeks late. I told you it's been a crazy summer!)

Anyway, as part of a little treat bag, I let the kids pick some of their favorite songs to make a mix CD for their friends. They chose great songs like "One Week", "Good People", "Accidentally In Love", along with a little Jimmy Buffet, ABBA, and KT Tunstall. Sure, a little eclectic - but really great songs.

The last song they picked to add was "Tribute" by Tenacious D (led by Jack Black, for those you who may not know). Yeah, Jack Black. I should've know better. So as I'm adding it, I specifically ask them, "Does this have any bad words?...Are you sure?" I've heard the song myself at least 50 times and didn't recall any either.

So, there it was, track 17.

Then yesterday afternoon, we had just walked in the door from the waterpark, when Bill said to me, "Did you really put 'Tribute' on the Birthday Mix CD? You know there's a pretty bad word in there, right?"

WHAT?

I listened to the song. Twice. And yep, sure enough, there it is. It's stealthily nestled among a bunch a loud guitar jamming, screaming, and fast-flying words at the end. But it's there. And it's the queen of bad words. Way beyond the SH-one. Or the A-one.

It's the MF-one.

And I have just distributed it to a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds.

So last night I made several humiliated calls to parents. The ones I got a hold of just laughed and thanked me for the heads-up. I had to leave messages for 3 parents.

Please pray that they didn't head out on a family trip for the weekend in the minivans full of kids only to listen to the new CD they got at the birthday party.

...gulp...



So, here it is. I know you're curious. No need to clear your children from the room - this is the edited version.
Tribute

1 comment:

Sara Wicht said...

Ok, I think I lose "mother of the year" at least once a week these days...but I just listened and I only heard, "rich mother f" but it didn't really finish the f part. Is that the concern? How embarrassing, but what a responsible thing to call all of the parents. That move should earn you points back!