Monday, February 11, 2008

The "Rewards" of Swimming

Wow!! What an exciting weekend! My voice is still scratchy, my throat feels swollen, and I can’t quite wipe the smile off my face!

The STMA Seadevils had their final home meet of the season – and it was a good one! I was so proud of all the kids, the coaches and the volunteers. This was the biggest meet we have ever hosted, and we pulled it off beautifully! And to correct my previous post, it was not 19 hours that I spent at the pool – it was 23.5. But I loved every minute of it!

Maddie finally reached her goal for the season – she achieved a “B” time! Yay!!! For a several weeks now, she’s been hovering near the 45.89 seconds required in the 50 backstroke. Yesterday, she dropped nearly a second and a half to get her time. So, that means that she’ll swim in 7 events in “C-finals” (kind of like first-round finals) in a couple weeks, and then swim the 50 backstroke and hopefully a few others that she is now within reach of, during “A/B-finals” in 3 weeks.

And our little "newbie", Will, nearly gave me a heart attack yesterday. He dropped time like crazy and compiled 5 “C-finals” times – amazing for a first time swimmer! So, going into his last event, the 100 freestyle, he was a little bummed that he hadn’t been a heat-winner yet. It was not so much the “heat winner” title he wanted as it was the little ticket that the heat-winners earned. The tickets could be traded in at the awards table for your choice of a cheap, little, Happy Meal-type toy. But even cheaper. And even littler.

So, just before his race as he was scoping out the other boys’ seed-times in his heat, his little eyes just lit up and he said, “I think I can win this one, Mom” and off he went.

He shot off the starting blocks and raced through the water. When it all was said and done, my little man dropped about 11 seconds and got a B-time!!!



He got hugs from Coach Michelle and his mom, flashed a huge smile, and then quickly headed out to the heat-winner toy basket to reap his reward.

A pile of pink goo.



He’s a nine year old boy. What more can I say.

3 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

That's amazing guys!! Great job both of you. Oh how we wish we could watch your good swimming!! Good luck at the B finals!!! We are always cheering for you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Angela said...

Yay for Will and Maddie! It certainly was a great weekend!