Friday, August 29, 2008

Last days of summer...

This past week, we've been trying to squish a few last moments of summer fun from the days remaining until school starts. Usually around the end of August, I get a bad case of we-didn't-do-enough-fun-stuff guilt. But today, as I take inventory on the past 3 months, we actually did a LOT of fun things and made great memories along the way, too. I'm sure it's just the fact that the summer blew by in the blink of an eye. Or at least that way I'm trying to tell myself!

Some neighbor kids decided to have a camp-out this week in a couple tents in our back yard. The picture here shows only a part of the whole crew. I think there were nine total. Other than a few warnings for noise violation from their parents, the night went pretty good until 4:30 am when a thunderstorm rolled in. Thanks to Candace and Varen for running out at the first boom of thunder, some of the kids made it home. The others luckily made in into our living room. It's funny how it took the sound of giggling 10 yr olds to wake me at 5:30 am, never mind the roaring thunder and down pouring rain.






We've also had several swim club gatherings, parties, and an end-of-the-year banquet. One of the days we went to Bunker Beach with a few of the families. They have a really great wave pool where the kids spent most of their time. We all had a blast and absolutely enjoyed the perfect August afternoon weather.


This weekend, Bill and I are going away. But I can't tell you much more than that, because I don't know! It's a surprise!!

We've decided to resume our annual alternating Surprise Anniversary Weekend Vacation, where one of us plans a weekend away without telling the other one anything about it. In the past, these trips have always been either local or no more than a few hours away. We've done places like Grand Marias, Bayfield, Stillwater, and Door County, WI. I think we stopped doing the surprise-thing when I planned a trip to Chicago a few years ago and decided that it was too far and required too much planning to pull off a surprise.

So anyway, it's Bill's turn this year. Do you know how hard it is to pack for a weekend trip when you don't know where you're going????

2 comments:

Blaze said...

"alternating Surprise Anniversary Weekend Vacation" - cool idea, Tammy. You can tell Bill I know of this quaint little place in central SD that he could take you as a surprise - you know, an exotic, romantic destination that rhymes with Paprika!

KJ said...

Oh how fun! An alternating Surprise Anniversary Weekend Vacation sounds like a blast! I hope you guys have a fun time!