Thursday, August 21, 2008

Is this a Minnesota thing?

This was the front door view at a relatively big gathering that we attended a few weeks ago. This instantly made me think of my friend Kelly. One distinct thing I learned about Kelly shortly after I met her, was that she thought the ritual of "The Gathering of the Shoes" was really funny. Not so much funny-ha-ha, but funny-peculiar.

Keep in mind, this picture was taken on a perfectly dry, sunny day in the middle of summer. No rain. No mud. No slush or snow. No dog poop spattering the front step.

Kelly has lived in many places throughout her life, and I think she always just chalked this strange occurrence up as "a Minnesota thing".

I think she might be right. I've lived in Minnesota for so long, it's kinda hard to remember what life was like before we moved to Mosquitoland; but I'm pretty sure we never did this growing up in SD. And I know it didn't ever happen in Kansas or Florida or Connecticut. Hmmm, maybe in Wisconsin though.

So, I'm guessing that if you have no idea why I'm dedicating an entire post to foyer shoe depositories, your probably a native Minnesotan. Otherwise, you might just think it's as strange as Kelly did.

3 comments:

Christie-Off the Beat(en) Pad said...

Hmmm..looks similar to my closet!

Sara Wicht said...

Totally a MN thing!

Angela said...

Ah, I think I spy one of Brent's shoes, that must've been at the Robert's! It is TOTALLY a Minnesota thing. I'm a transplant, and they don't do this in Utah and California unless it's really mucky out. In fact, when I visit there now, people think we're crazy when my whole family deposits our shoes in their foyer, but it's habit now. :)