Sunday, September 28, 2008

This is Raclette...

You're probably saying, "Huh?" Well, let me introduce you to Raclette in a Pioneer-Woman-esque way:

Raclette is a Swiss Cheese dish that has been popular for centuries. There are different opinions about who started it. Some say shepherds in the mountains, others say it was the grape harvesters in the vineyards of the Valais region of Switzerland. No matter who, fact is that after a hard days work, they gathered around a campfire and held the cut surface of their local cheese against the glowing coals. As the cheese melted, they scraped (french: raclet) it off onto potatoes and pickles, thus coming to bear the name "raclette". Everybody agrees, that it took place in the Valais region of Switzerland and that the original cheese was made there.

Today there are countless varieties of healthy meals each person can prepare while sitting together at the dining table around an indoor grill. Sharing stories over drinks while creating personalized dishes on a racette grill or with a raclette melter is an activity everyone will love. And you’ll be cooking with your friends, not for them.


We had our friends Heather, Jeff, and kids over for dinner last night and decided to do raclette grilling. My Norwegian brother-in-law Leif introduced my family to this social dining experience several years ago. And then, I received a grill as a Christmas gift from my sisters shortly thereafter. We love to use it whenever the occasion arises.

So, here's how you do it, step by step.

Well, kind of...

As PW would say, here is your "cast of characters". Keep in mind, this is just what I used, but you can really use just about anything.

The main things that I think you need are new potatoes, some type of meat, cheese, and a french baguette. I like to buy the Italian variety pack of meat at Costco which includes hard salami, hot capocola and spicy calabrese. And as far as cheeses go, I always buy the actual Raclette cheese just because I feel that I have to since that is the namesake after all. I always have Jarlsberg, sometimes Gouda, and whatever else happens to look good to me. Last night I served a really great semi-soft cheddar from the Byerly's cheese counter. Keep in mind, you may not find all these yummy cheeses at just any grocery store.

Mmmm...I love cheese.

So, other than those necessities, just add anything else you want. I served sliced grape tomatoes, sliced fresh mushrooms, roasted and marinated red peppers. Also have a variety of relish-type foods available such as pickled corn, pearl onions, pepperocini, pickles.

This is my grill. You can find them on Amazon for $70-$120. And I heard rumor from an inside source (aka one of our dinner guests) that Target may start carrying them soon as well.

Doesn't this cheese look awesome! Have I mentioned that I love cheese?

This is the meat combination that I like to use, although I'm sure just about anything would work here. This particular variety is really nice as it's highly seasoned and adds a little zing to the cheese, bread, and potatoes.

We also have done scallops and shrimp on the raclette grill - which both turn out great!

If you have a 10 year old child wandering around the house, feel free to put him/her to work. It's cheap labor and will save you some time.

And yes, I did make this one wash her hands first.

No worries! All fingers remain intact.

I serve the meat and cheese together in one platter. And as shown, I make two identical platters of both meat/cheese and veggies/relishes. That way, there is no need to pass them around. Each side of the table can just grab what they want from the plates in front of them and build their own yummy creation.



Here is an example of one creation. Personally, I think that this one lacks RED. Probably should have added a couple tomatoes and a roasted red pepper.

So, that's it. Just put any combination in the little tray, place in under the grill for a couple minutes and... Voila!

Here is a simple, delicious option for those of you with veggie-phobia or those who need to ease a little slower into new things - a variety of cheeses on a toasted baguette. See how the cheese gets all melty? Oh, this makes my mouth water...

Have I mentioned that I love cheese?

Oh, and one more thing - the sliced baguette. I don't have a picture of it, but just place the slices on the top of the grill to toast. You'll need to flip it intermittently to get the desired toastiness.

Toastiness? Is that a word?

For this meal, I highly suggest that you let all kids eat first. Then, when they've finished and settled in for their eighteenth viewing of Shrek II, you can sit down with a bottle (or two or three) of wine, your dinner guests, and enjoy a nice, long meal and conversation.


So- here's to good friends, good food, good wine, and a really good Swiss-inspired dining style...

2 comments:

A Day In The Life.... said...

I have never heard of this, but it looks like a lot of fun with good food!

Sara Wicht said...

This is yummy! I too am a huge fan of cheese. Once my dr. recommended cutting out cheese to lower my cholesterol...I moved to Brazil instead! It worked. And might I add, Brazilians, grill all cheese! It's amazing. And at the beach you can get Quejo Qualio, cheese on a stick with oregano over an open flame--delicious!! Fondue is big here too, perhaps these are all the results of Swiss immigrants' influence on Brazilian cuisine.