Friday, December 19, 2008

What we've been up to...

OK…now to get you caught up with things happening at the Gallagher house since I’ve last posted.

First of all, in case you’re wondering – No. I haven’t gotten a new car yet. I’m still waiting for the “perfect” one to come along. For now, all I can do is dream. And keep racking up the miles on that old minivan.

Second, it’s winter here in Minnesota. #$@$%$# winter. I’m not sure if you know this or not – but… I hate snow. I hate ice. I hate cold weather. I hate driving in snowy, icy roads. I can’t ski and I don’t want to learn. I don’t like to throw snowballs. I don't like sledding. I don’t like snowmen. I don’t like wearing big, bulky coats.

I. Don’t. Like. Winter.

And, don’t ask me why I still live here – because I have no idea.

Third, just keep swimming, just keep swimming. (This works best when you say/sing it to the voice of Dory in Finding Nemo). Will and Maddie are still at it…early mornings, late nights, and the permanent smell of chlorine in their green-tinged hair. They are doing great and are still looking for those State cuts! Wish ‘em luck! Look for more pictures and videos to come…

Fourth, Will’s weekly (and sometimes more) Lego League meetings have come to an end for this year. He had the Regional Tournament last weekend. It’s a really cool program; you can check it out here to get the gist of it. I’ll try to post a video of the tournament sometime soon.

And last, I’d love to share a bit of our Thanksgiving in Seattle with you. Here are the highlights:

Beckett. We got to meet the newest little guy in the family – Beckett Brenne. What a dollface!!! It seemed like we just couldn’t hold him enough. And yep, he’s as cute in real life as he is in the pictures!


Campbelle and Christian. It’s amazing to see how much these two have grown since we’ve seen them last. They are cutie-pies too! Will and Maddie were in Princess/Ninja Turtle heaven the entire time.


Family.
It was really nice to spend the holiday with both my sisters Jill and Gina, Jill’s family, my dad and Marva. And it was also great to see Leif’s parents and brother from Norway.

Food. Turkey dinner and all the accompaniments just so happens to be my favorite meal of all time. Jill and Leif did a fabulous job with the giant Costco turkey. I’m not sure how my little sisters got to be so Martha-ish, but they actually make their own toasted and seasoned bread crumbs for the stuffing, make real whip cream for desserts, and pick fresh herbs right out of the backyard garden. As for me – I can show you right where all the equivalents are at Super Target.

Home. Jill & Leif and Gina have moved into new homes since we’ve last been to Seattle. It was so fun to see their digs. They are both beautiful and I think they need to come and help me redecorate my house soon. Very soon.

Weather. You know what??? Somedays…in Seattle… we didn’t even need coats.

Christmas Picture. We got our annual Christmas photo taken while we were there. It took all of 137 shots, but we finally got it. Thanks, Brenne’s!


Parlor of Games and Amusement. This is also known as the Brenne House. I’ve never seen such a fun-filled, activity-riddled abode in my life! There is a limitless supply of fun in store for all who enter. Really. Without actually leaving the couch, you can sing karaoke, play in a band, make a movie, play a trivia game, and kill an alien. All with the flip of a switch. Errr, maybe a remote. I don’t really get into the whole alien-killing thing of Halo (actually, now that I think of it…are they aliens or army guys?), but I can sing a mean version of “Every Rose Has a Thorn” and can act like nothing you’ve ever seen before. Leif’s brother Tor introduced Will and Christian to World of Warcraft. The boys (young and old) played Halo until the early morning hours on more than one occasion. I think it was a treat for them to be in the same room instead of 3,000 miles apart. And I had to buy my own Rummikub game when we returned home.

We had a great Thanksgiving. And honestly, it was hard for me to leave.

So...we've had a really busy and fun past month.

Now, I'm going to turn on the fireplace, get a cup of hot chocolate, put on a second pair of socks, pick out a great CD, and get comfy with my hubby and kiddos in front of the Christmas tree.

Now, that's the only good thing about a Minnesota winter.

2 comments:

jenny said...

good luck to will and maddie! sounds like you had a great time with your family. those family pictures are great. :)

Sara Wicht said...

Thanks for the update Tammy. It reminded me how much I enjoy reading your writing. Always entertaining! I want to squeeze little Beckett's cheeks. That is one cute baby boy.