Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Longing for a Thunderstorm

This winter has lasted far too long. Don't you think?

I am so ready for summer. I'm looking forward to warmer weather, green grass, and my plants and trees. I can't wait to walk out the door without grabbing a jacket. Heck, I just can't wait to walk outside without grabbing shoes. And I'm even looking forward to summer vacation for the kids.

I was going through my "Summer 2008" photo folder today and found these really great shots I took while on vacation in South Dakota last July.

We were somewhere east of Mitchell (you know, home of the world famous Corn Palace) and we came upon a huge storm. We drove straight into it. The winds and rain were ferocious. I can't remember if we actually pulled over and stopped for awhile or not, but I know we definitely contemplated it. I think one of the local radio stations even reported a tornado touch-down somewhere in this area. It was an amazing storm.

I love a good thunderstorm. There is something awesome about thunderstorms in the Dakotas. I'm not sure what it is. But Minnesota storms just aren't the same. Now, I don't mean to offend any Minnesota-storm-lovers. But, the storms are better when you have totally unobstructed views of the looming clouds and darkening sky. And by unobstructed, I mean - no big trees, no big buildings, no nothing getting in the way of your line of site. You can truly see the horizon in all directions. When we watch a storm approaching from my house now, I see it coming over the top of my neighbors house, the hill with the fence in our backyard, and a bunch of evergreen trees. Trust me. It's a way cooler experience in the vastness of a South Dakota prairie.

Anyway, these cloud/storm photos totally make me long for summer. They make me long for warm, humid days. They make me long for the smell of rain. They make me long for a really great thunderstorm.

Yep.

Despite visions of snow dusting my backyard, I'm longing right now.





Are you longing, too?

2 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

I hear you! Dakota thunderstorms are tremendous and grand. And I miss them too (baring they do no major damage).

Anonymous said...

Do you know why I miss summer? I miss walking outside and seeing you!!!!
Stacy