Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gecko-sitting

Since I've been slacking on the updates, you likely don't know about the newest addition to our household. It's a 4 inch long eyelash-crested gecko named Blinky. Will used his birthday money to purchase him and his accessories a couple weeks ago.

I know...I can read your mind and I'm guessing you may have a few questions about this new arrangement:
  1. It's a lizard because I'm allergic to all animals that have fur, hair, feathers, dander and spit. So, that kinda means that my poor kiddo's (and poor me) are stuck with amphibians.
  2. Will named him Blinky because he doesn't have eyelids. Instead of blinking, he just sticks out his long tongue and licks his eyeballs. Ironic, don't you think?
  3. Me. I'm the one taking care of him this week while the kids are at camp and Bill is traveling for work. Just me. Me, who nearly pees when that quick little thing moves in my general direction.

Here it is. Accessories and all...



And here is the instruction sheet that Will left for me. Who ever guessed that such a little thing could be so high-maintenance!

My favorite part of this sheet is the smiley face that he drew in the bottom right corner, right after he tells me that I'll need to provide a variety of baby food, crickets, and mealworms. He knows the effect that crickets and worms have on me. Hence the cute little smiley face...


It's not that he isn't a little bit cute, because I guess he is in his own special way. The thing that really bothers me about him is that he is so dang FAST! Seriously, he gets from here to there in the blink of an eye. You don't even know that he's going, then he's just gone. It's creepy.

For example, he moved from Will's hand...


...to nearly up inside his shirt sleeve in a matter of 0.28 seconds.

Good thing that kid has cat-like reflexes!


OK...off I go to mist the habitat, adjust the lighting, and feed him.

I think I'll choose baby food again...

No comments: