Monday, April 30, 2007

One of my favorite things

I did one of my favorite things today. I mowed the lawn. No really, I’m serious. I love doing it. In fact, Bill actually likes to do it too. I’m not kidding. Sometimes we even fight over who gets to do it. Don't laugh. Really.

I’m an instant-gratification kind of person. I like symmetrical, even things. I like to do mindless tasks to achieve relaxation. I like to work outside. I don’t mind the feeling of dirt under my fingernails. I love the feelings of sun and wind. I like the challenge of getting all the mower tracks to be perfectly straight - even around the trees. It's a bit obsessive, I know. But, this is a perfect job for me. This, or bridge construction, I guess. So, when all I need to do is walk back and forth in my yard to achieve straight, even lines instantly, can “zone out” while doing it, and even get a little tan – I’m thrilled!

I’m pretty sure as a kid, mowing lawn was not one of my favorite things. I remember just praying to God that it would be a day that I was working or had other plans when mom decided it was lawn-mowing day. From my recollections, I didn’t luck out all that often. And these were the days before my dad bought a riding mower…and we had a really big lawn. Our yard is pretty big now, and we still don’t own a riding mower. I think a riding mower would take some of the relaxation out of it for me…I’d be too afraid of tipping it over, rolling down the hill and landing in the middle of Frankfort Pkwy.

So, I'm not sure what has brought on my love for mowing. Owning my own house? Getting older? Trying to incorportate more activity into my daily life? Who knows, I may even develop a love for picking weeds one of these days.

And just in case your wondering...no, I’m not for hire.




(note the extremely gratifying, straight, symmetrical lines...)

3 comments:

KJ said...

You are really quite an anal little bug, aren't you? The lawn looks beautiful, nice work!

A Day In The Life.... said...

Amen! I'm right there with you and can relate 100%!

Sara Wicht said...

I too LOVE to cut the grass. I can't wait to be in MN during June and July so that I can cut the grass at my parents' house.