Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Queen of Recycle and Reuse

Remember that patio table top I was trying to create a faux granite finish on several days ago? Well, I know you've all been dying to see the end results. So, here it is:




I have to say, I'm quite proud of it. And the best part is...it didn't cost a thing!

Here's how I did it:
1) Sand off old faux mosaic paint with borrowed belt-sander from neighbor Randy.
2) Dig through all 42 cans of left over paint in the messy basement storage area.
3) Use base coat of "Meadowlark" (from entry and main hall).
4) Scrounge around every nook and cranny of the kitchen and laundry room to try to find something resembling a sponge. Settle on a gross, used-up, torn dish scrubbie.
5) Sponge on "Chocolate Truffle" (from Maddie's bedroom).
6) Sponge on "Firewood" (from the office).
7) Accidently drip "Cabernet" stain on this project while finishing another project.
8) Rub stain into table top (Hmmm...brilliant idea!).
9) Put more "Cabernet" stain along with "Red Mahogany" stain onto surface and gently wipe on and off.
10) Spray silver metallic spray-paint into an old tuna can retrieved out of the recycling bin.
11) Desperately search for the short-bristled stencil brush bought back in 1999 in case you ever wanted to stencil something.
12) AHA! Found it!
13) Dip stencil brush in sprayed out silver metallic tuna can paint and then flick it with your thumb to get little silver flecks.
14) Quickly try to clean up the huge puddles of silver metallic paint accidently spilled on husband's abnormally and obsessively clean garage floor.
15) Let dry for 2 days while you search for the exterior varnish you know you just saw in the messy basement storage area.
16) AHA! Found it!
17) Apply 2 coats of high gloss varnish and thoroughly dry following each coat.
18) Sit down at table while enjoying an icy cold beverage and congratulate yourself on being so resourceful.


You can just call me Thrifty-Martha, if you insist.

6 comments:

The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Very good job Tammy! I'm telling you.....I WILL hire you. I know you want to come visit Pierre sometime!!!

abc1273 said...

Oh my. Projects never turn out that well for me, I have a hard enough time getting streak free windows. You are amazing. Good Work.

KJ said...

WOW!!! Nice work Tammy, you are awesome! Clever, resourceful, talented, patient, practical...all Tammy words!

The Dunkers said...

Too funny! That sounds like me when I am doing a project. 42 cans of paint huh??? I'm still chuckling.

Sara Wicht said...

The table looks great...and look at all the recycling you did. Way to work at saving the planet at the same time!

Gail said...

that is AWESOME! Good job. I am very impressed.