Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Crazy weekend. Crazy people

My Memorial Day weekend was crazy. I mean crazy insane. Really, it was crazy, busy, insane. I worked from Friday through Monday and all the days had a funny way of running together. I’m not sure I could tell you the details about any certain event that happened, but I do know that on my way home from work late Monday afternoon, the thought of writing another “Stupid or Unfortunate” post entered my mind.

What is it about a 3-day-weekend to start the summer that makes some people turn stupid? Or are they baseline-stupid already, and then they just get stupider?

If any of you figure that out, just let me know.

Here is a little list for helpful hints as we start the summer:


Things that will someday manage to kill off the human race
(or maybe just the stupid people):
10. Throwing gas on a campfire. You’d think people would figure this out since the humans have been using fire for a few years now.

9. Backyard trampolines-- because kids just don't have enough ways of injuring themselves already?

8. Working on roofs and climbing around on ladders without appropriate safety equipment. Unless you can fly, this isn’t a great idea.

7. Anything that involves building a ramp.

6. Riding bikes without helmets. You kind of like your face and brain, don’t you?

5. ATV's. You do know these aren't toys, right? And would you trust your 7 yr-old driving your car?

4. Motorcycles. If you responsibly accept the risk of riding – you’re brave…Godspeed. If you lack responsibility, a helmet, or proper attire – you’re an idiot (and I don’t feel sorry for you or the chunks of skin you left on the road)

3. Not wearing seatbelts. Seriously... I can't believe that people still get in a car and don't buckle up immediately. Head, meet windshield.

2. Picking fights at a bar at closing time. Can you say “impaired judgment”?

1. Combining drugs or alcohol with #10, #9, #8, #7, #6, #5, #4, #3, or #2. Got a death wish, or do you just like pain? And now I really, really don’t feel sorry for you.



Feel free to spread the word to you kids, your spouses, your parents, or any stupid people you may know.


I guess I shouldn't rant too much. Job security, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us how you really feel? lol I would have to totally agree with everything you said. I just finished reading through the weekend work!

Jill said...

Okay, so I'm assuming your a nurse? Do tell.

I have to tell you I am SO GLAD for this post. I feel like I'm the only person standing on the lone soapbox when in groups and I get to my a-ranting about some of these.
-My kid will never have a trampoline. Ever. Unless he's a gymnast or circus performer and he's paying his own bills (therefore 18+)
-We will always wear helmets while riding bikes. My last job had me working with brain injuries. We will always wear helmets while riding bikes.
--ATV's. I'm going to lose the battle with getting one...but my children will never be allowed to drive them. Only ride as a passenger with a helmet on. They are going to hate me. I don't care.
--I have too many friends that ride motorcycles, but thankfully my husband and I aren't interested, although I worry about those friends (without their helmets) every.single.day.

Also--you are a very good writer. You really are. I enjoy your posts.

Blaze said...

Good post. At times, I've been guilt of being stupid. Other times, I've simply been unfortunate. Often times I'm both, but thankfully, I have a couple nurses as neighbors if needed!

I agree with all you had listed, Tammy. Sometimes I believe the gene-pool needs to be thinned out a bit.

Jill - good luck with your "losing battle". As much as we love them, we can't always protect our kids.

When I think back to my childhood, NOBODY in my school had a bike helmet, wore helmets on their 3-wheelers, or buckled their seat belts. The majority wore helmets on snowmobiles, but that was it, and I remember very few (if any) injuries. What has changed? Are people getting stupider? (I love that word!)