Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's your point?

I have a question for all you bloggers out there: What is the point of your blog? Do you do it to document your life? Do you do it to entertain your readers? Do you do it to provide information? Do you do it to stay in touch with people? Do you do it so you can Google yourself and get a bunch of hits?

I’m just wondering. I really don’t have a firm answer to my own question. I guess mine is mostly to document my existence in this world, stay in touch with family and friends, and maybe once in a while try to make somebody laugh.

I guess I find blogging a good alternative to scrapbooking and journaling – since I have never attempted either. Well, that’s actually not true. I did scrapbook one little book from a trip to Florida we took back in 2003. It was alright albeit a bit juvenile. But it’s just not for me. And I did have a diary from 6th to 8th grade that’s so painfully embarrassing to read, I can hardly bring myself to do it. In fact, I think eventually I may have to actually destroy to protect myself from posthumous humiliation.

I’m planning on having my blog printed in book form, but I haven’t quite figured out how to do it? Maybe 1 book for each year. I found this site but haven’t looking into it too much yet. I’d love to hear from someone that has done it before.

There are some entries I’ve written, like this, this, and like this, that I’m really proud of and that are really special to me. And this fairly recent one is pretty clever if I do say so myself. They truly document my life and my family – who we are and where we’re from. I hope that someday they might be special to my kids and grandkids as well.

My favorite entries mark a spot in time. I especially love this one, this one, and this one.

But then there are entries like this. Or like this. Or, wow. Like this. I’m really not sure what my mindset was when I wrote them, and I’m not convinced they’ll serve a purpose for anything other than to take up space on a page.

Oh well. You take the good with the bad, huh?

So, what's your point?

Just curious…

4 comments:

The Dunkers said...

I've decided mine is more of a diary so that we can look back someday and see what all we did. It helps a lot now when I don't get pictures put away for 6 months and need a date on them!

jilldaisbrenne said...

I think mine started as a way for family living far away to keep track of us and see how the kids are doing. It sometimes develops into a place for me to rant, to be creative, maybe inspire, or just plain make my voice heard. Isn't that the coolest thing about blogs - its whatever we want it to be!

jenny said...

i started a pregnancy blog before i had anything. then i signed up for the long haul and started one in which i could keep our family/friends updated on our life. i can look back on it to see what we were up to at a certain time and whatnot. i also like to connect with others through it and get advice and opinions. :)

Gail said...

I have always liked writing, and though I don't think I'm great at it, I do like to look back on my posts and reflect. I am an ex-scrapper. I hated scrapping but I loved the social aspect of it...which is why blogging is great, if you have any readers, which I dont and for very good reason!